dinsdag 27 juli 2010

Relocation

Here it is, the new entry you have all been waiting for so eagerly. Or maybe not, just wondering what I am up to or if I am even still alive. Well, I am. The reason it took me a while to pick this up has to do with some changes in my life. I relocated. Yes, at the moment of writing this I am not in my beloved Thailand, but in the birthplace of Gaelic culture, Ireland. Since this is not my home country, I am still a foreigner, hence you can still call me a farang. Happy, yes I am, I have a job that earns me some money. So I didn't have to find a new pseudonym to continue this rant.
Living in Thailand is really nice, but living costs money. Since the Thai law doesn't allow me to exercise whatever job I want, I needed to return to Europe to gather some finances. Don't worry if you are looking forward to stories about the Land of Smiles, I will be back there in October.
Not a lot is happening in Ireland since I am just here to work and not really exploring the lay of the land.
I can tell you the Irish are a happy bunch, always in for a cheer and a laugh.
A lot of farang I met in the Thai capital always tell me about the culture shock when returning to their respective homes. Well, I guess those people are just easily shocked. It's all a matter of compatibility. Seen that my ancestors have always been overrun by other tribes, my compatriots and I have developped the ability to adapt quickly to new situations.
The only culture shock to me was that I had to walk 45 minutes to find one ATM. In Bangkok you walk one minute to find 45 ATMs.
Another thing is the price of food. Going to the supermarket or eating out, be prepared to bring your wallet. Ok, I admit, being used to Thai prices, everything seems expensive, but I can tell you, this is even higher than European prices. Being isolated on an island drives the prices up I guess. But all the other goods on the market, from clothing to electronics, seem reasonably priced, so there is no real logic. Probably there is an explanation to this, but I won't be hanging around long enough to find out.

I have no idea when my next entry will appear, but as stated in my very first write-up, this is a very irregular blog, don't take it for granted. You won't be able to enjoy it every Sunday morning along your nice cup of coffee. It will come at you when you least expect it. Expect the unexpexted.

Expect it.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten