donderdag 30 december 2010

Happy trails

It's been a while. The same thought that must run through a Bangkok taxi driver's head when he can hit the accelerator again for a couple of meters before coming to a complete standstill again for a couple of minutes. The curse of every big city, enormous traffic jams. One reason for not buying a car in Bangkok in my opinion. It is like parking your vehicle in the middle of the street and never getting a ticket for doing so. And still I wonder why so many people take their car to the heart of Bangkok. There is a multitude of taxis available too. Now, you could wonder, why take a taxi when you are always stuck anyway. In the afternoon heat it is wiser to hail a taxi than to walk a couple of kilometers. I have been there and walking doesn't seem such a healthy option anymore. Taxis are cheap and fitted with air conditioning. So it doesn't matter if you get stuck, you are surrounded by a cool breeze. But after some pondering I found the time had come to provide myself with some personal wheels. I wasn't going to be stuck in traffic anymore. I bought a motorbike. Now I was able to weave through traffic without using my brakes too much. Some people called me completely crazy, others nominated me as the next Bangkok hero. In the beginning I was careful, but that was actually not that good of an idea. When there are no traffic jams, cars just soar around you and traffic rules seem non-existent. My rule of thumb is to stick to the most left side of the road and only swerve when necessary. Turn signals seem to come as an option and were replaced by car horns. You never know what will happen in the next ten meters and the next ten after that.
Having the freedom to roam around on two wheels, it was time to venture outside the big city. Many people warned me about the dangers that lay outside the concrete jungle, but I was ready for a small adventure. The first thing you notice outside this metropolis is that people actually do know how to drive a car. Apparently it is just the hustle and bustle of Bangkok that makes them go mad in their Faraday's cages. People drive gentle and even let you pass, there are turn signals visible and no car horns to be heard. Riding a motorbike is a relaxing activity. From town to town, stopping along the way for a picture or a drink, that's what I was hoping for and that's what I got. But after a week I had enough. It was getting too quiet. I was missing something and I knew what it was. So without a doubt I hopped on my faithful steed and went towards the congested mogul. Once I entered the belly of the beast I found the noises and the smells again I was looking for. Again weaving through traffic jams I made way for my apartment. I survived a week on the countryside, notwithstanding all the warnings I received. I still don't know what all the fuss was about. I had a nice time and enjoyed it. And that is what I recommend to anyone reading this, have a nice time and enjoy.

Enjoy.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten